Salad gets a pretty bad rap. Even writing about it feels particularly dull. BUT, 2 great things:
- There are some incredible recipes out there for ingredients you might not think to throw together (blood orange, carrot & fennel anyone?), but when you do, tastes so, so good.
- The moment you start fancying a salad, it usually means summer is on it’s way.
Here’s the recipe for the Moroccan Aubergine and Chickpea salad that I put together for yesterday’s lunch. It went down a treat…
400g can chickpeas
2 aubergines, cut into small chunks
2 courgettes, chopped roughly into 2cm thick discs
2 handfuls of baby tomatoes
50g bag of rocket
2 tbsps coconut oil
For the dressing:
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp honey
1 lemon, juice only
4 tbsp olive oil
- Heat oven to 200C/180c fan
- Put coconut oil into roasting tin for a couple of minutes, until melted
- Add aubergine and courgette. Season with salt and toss in the pan to coat
- Roast for 30 mins, adding tomatoes in for the last 10 mins of roasting
- Drain and rinse chickpeas, then tip into bowl with roasted veg and rocket
- Put dressing ingredients in a screw top jar, give it a shake.
- Dress salad & serve.